One of the positive regulatory step taken by Govt. of India, via FSSAI notification is implementation of used oil regulation 2018, which prohibits use of reused oil which has total polar greater than 25%. (Under FSSAI RUCO initiative).
Many FBOs are unclear about its implementation. This article is about giving little more clarity on this subject and helping more FBO in conforming to the regulation. Our one small step in regulating our used oil disposal not only benefit in complying the regulation but also benefit the country in reducing import bill in bio fuel.
During frying, several properties of oil are altered, Total Polar Compounds(TPC) are formed on repeated frying. The toxicity of these compounds is associated with several diseases such as hypertension, atherosclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, liver diseases. Therefore, it is essential to monitor the quality of vegetable oils during frying. In order to safeguard consumer health, FSSAI has fixed a limit for Total Polar Compounds at 25 percent beyond which the vegetable oil shall not be used. From 1st July, 2018 onwards, all Food Business Operators (FBOs) are required to monitor the quality of oil during frying by complying with the said regulations. FSSAI is implementing an EEE Strategy:
to divert Used Cooking Oil from the food value chain and curb current illegal practices.The EEE Strategy approach ensures good health and welfare for all 130-crore citizens, aiding energy security, climate change mitigation, and leading to environmentally sustainable development.
Key points in the notification:
- Do not use cooking oil more than thrice for frying. preferably for frying oil should be used only once.
- Used cooking oil (UCO) should not discarded in drain.
- The vegetable oil having developed Total Polar Compound more than 25%shall not be used.
- For all commercial establishment, it is mandatory to maintain a record of used oil on daily basis. along with detail of its disposal to FSSAI approved oil aggregators. These oil aggregators send the oil to enrolled Biodiesel manufacturers.
- For more detail download the notification below and attached usable blank format: